So, the news of my death has been somewhat accurate, but not completely true. Ogiers have 13 lives. This is why we will outlive the cats. And donkeys. And orangutans. Especially orangutans!
These are the album picks of yours hairly for the year of our lord-lessness 2022.
Play loud!! Grow hair!!! Enjoy! Move into caves!!!!
— THE FOLLOWING LIST IS PRESENTED IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER
40. Abaddon Incarnate – The Wretched Sermon
Been a fan of this band for ages it seems, but they finally hit the masterpiece button with their latest.
39. Archgoat – All Christianity Ends
Archgoat is still perfection.
38. Autopsy – Morbidity Triumphant
Their best record since the mind-blowing The Headless Ritual in 2013.
37. Black Beast – Arctic Darkness
The purest black metal album of 2022. You know what it will sound like and you will love it for the fact.
36. Dead Cross – II
More Voivod than Voivod.
35. Deathspell Omega – The Long Defeat
Still the best band of the genre? Very much so.
34. Deströyer 666 – Never Surrender
More Venom than Venom themselves. Can’t go wrong.
33. Devenial Verdict – Ash Blind
The absolute death metal highlight of 2022.
32. Et Moriemur – Tamashii No Yama
What if Anathema had stuck with death doom, but still added the progression? It could be something like this album here.
31. Forlesen – Black Terrain
Four tracks, but basically a one-hour-long composition.
30. Haavard – Haavard
Well, the most beautiful record on this list is a marvelous piece of music from start to finish.
29. Hours of Worship – The Cold that You Left
Like Peter Steele singing in Dead Can Dance.
28. In Aphelion – Moribund
Nifelheim meets Necrophobic meets Iron Maiden.
27. In Grief – An Eternity of Misery
Just how slow you can say DOOOM?
26. Inferia – Grind Cumpaign
This is how Rotten Sound and Napalm Death SHOULD sound.
25. Krallice – Crystalline Exhaustion
Experimental black metal done right.
24. Meshuggah – Immutable
Can’t spell heavy without Meshuggah.
23. Morbid Evils – Supernaturals
Maybe the heaviest band on the planet right now. Gotta love!
22. Mother of Graves – Where the Shadows Adorn
Missing old Katatonia? This is your thing then, right here.
21. Necrophagous – In Chaos Ascend
THEY are morbid.
20. Orgrel – The Oath of the Black Wolf EP
The black metal EP of the year.
19. Sadist – Firescorched
King Diamond meets Death. The band.
18. Satyricon – Satyricon & Munch
Not for the impatient kind, but blows me away every time.
17. Scorpions – Rock Believer
Mikkey Dee. Say no more.
16. Se, josta ei puhuta – Gehenna
Melodic death metal from a former HC band.
15. Seid – Svartr Sol
Swedish black metal in minimalistic, but captivating manner.
14. Shape of Despair – Return to the Void
The funeral doom album of the year. Simple as that.
13. Sigh – Shiki
The very best Sigh album. Period.
12. Temple of Void – Summoning the Slayer
This band is a modern classic. Not a bad album under their belts yet.
11. Terror – Pain into Power
The hardcore album of the year.
10. The Gathering – Beautiful Distortion
Their best album since 1998.
9. The Hellacopters – Eyes of Oblivion
Rock is back and I like it.
8. The Mist from the Mountains – Monumental: The Temple of Twilight
90’s black metal re-visited the right way.
7. Threshold – Dividing Lines
Best prog metal album in 2022.
6. Tony Martin – Thorns
If you’re into Black Sabbath you will love this to death.
5. Vin De Mia Trix – Waves / Stars EP
Death doom done in an imaginative way. Sheer brilliance.
4. Weregoat – The Devil’s Lust EP
Want to clean up that cave of yours from posers? Try this. They will flee like there was a plague around.
3. White Ward – False Light
One of the best albums of the year IN MUSIC! Not just metal.
2. Xentrix – Seven Words
In seven words: You really should get this thrash monster.
1. 40 Watt Sun – A Perfect Light
Greatness for fans of Anathema especially.